Common QuestionsI am a grandparent raising my grandchild. What are my rights and what kind of benefits can I receive?
Note: This common question is under review for the new Family Law Act, which came into force on March 18, 2013.
Grandparents can often become involved in raising their grandchildren. In most cases your grandchild may come into your care through an agreement (informal or court ordered) between you and the child’s parent(s) or between you and the Ministry of Children and Family Development (who may have removed the child due to a child protection concern). The resources below explain your rights and the benefits you may be able to receive depending on the type of agreement you have.
- Benefits for grandparents and other relatives raising children, from the Legal Services Society, is a brief fact sheet that describes how grandparents (or other relatives) who are raising a relative’s child may be able to get government benefits. This fact sheet includes a chart that describes the kinds of benefits they might get and under what conditions, as well as links to other sites that explain how and where to apply for these benefits.
- The Extended Family Program, from the Ministry for Children and Families, describes services and financial supports if you are taking care of your grandchild.
- Supporting Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Resource Booklet, from the Parent Support Services Society of BC, is a detailed resource guide that lists resources and services available to support grandparents who are raising their grandchildren.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: A Legal Guide, from the Parent Support Services Society of BC, is a detailed guide that provides legal information and resources for grandparents raising grandchildren. There are sections on child protection, custody and guardianship, access and safety, adoption, financial assistance and benefits, getting legal help, and using the courts.
- child protection, removal of a child from the home, custody, guardianship, grandparents, grandparents as parents, raising children, support for grandparents